Monday, October 1, 2012

Father Knows Best

Now that I have had a little time to process the news, I am ready to pick up the pieces and move forward. My dad, Drake and Kennedy's Poppy, has given us what we believe to be the best advice..."Treat the patient, not the diagnosis." As we already know, Drake does not tend to follow what science tells us. He is currently doing things that science says he should not be able to do. In time, Drake and only Drake will let us know what he is capable of doing. We will be there to provide him with the proper support every step of the way. He is surrounded by friends, family and strangers who all believe in him and continue to pray daily.

Drake's swallow test was a success this morning and he has been cleared for infant driven feeding like Kennedy. This means...every 3 hours if he is awake and cuing, he is offered a bottle. Drake loves to eat and has attempted every bottle offered today. He doesn't have the endurance yet to complete them, but that will come in time. The hardest part for me this morning was that he was not allowed to have his 8:30am feed due to the swallow study at 10am. For a little boy who wakes up ready to eat every 3 hours, it broke my heart that he wasn't allowed any milk. I held him, rocked him, and sang to him as he sucked on his paci and looked deep into my eyes.

Little Miss Kennedy is doing well and continues to work on her feedings. When she is interested, she does great with her bottle, but if she isn't in the mood, she doesn't want anything to do with it. Tomorrow is a big day for her...neuro sonogram. Everything was perfect the last time she had a brain scan, but that was true for Drake as well. As you may imagine, we are a little nervous.

I have decided to meet with a neurologist tomorrow to discuss Drake and his MRI. Even though I was initially against this, I have had time to process and I am now willing to listen to what they have to say.

Pictures:
1) Kennedy
2) Family photo
3) Kennedy
4) Drake
5) Drake

7 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! I love, love, love that family picture. You should have heard me as I was ooooing and awwwwing and talking outloud to myself when I saw that picture. I'm so glad your parents are close by. What great wisdom your dad showed in the counsel he shared with you about Drake. I am so thankful for all the amazing things God has already done in and through the precious gifts of Drake and Kennedy, and I am going to continue to claim the verse that I have heard repeatedly and others have as well since they arrived. Ephesians 3:20 He is able to do exceedingly abundantly beyond all that we think or ask. Constant thoughts, prayers and love from Rebecca and her mom, Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are all so amazing! Overnight your life changed so quickly, so unexpectantly quickly, and y'all have done an amazing job as parents, as a husband & wife, and as believers! Seeing you both with MY precious niece & nephew brings happy tears to my eyes, as it doesn't seem that long ago I had tears of pain for you both by not being able to conceive. Now, not only do you get one baby, God gave you two...a boy & girl just like y'all wanted and there were miracles going on with pregnancy way before these two angels were placed in your womb. I've never seen my brother so happy & so in love (other than with you Annie) than when he's staring down at his miracle babies! Y'all have been through so much these ten years of marriage & y'all are still so closely bonded, even more now. Many people you do not know have told me how appreciative they are about the blog, and how excited they are to see the pictures. You are such lucky, gifted parents who are the best for D&K to have. They were picked specially for you two & will ALWAYS love you both unconditionally. I can't wait until another positive & uplifting blog. Drake will be loved no less than Kennedy no matter what, and vice-versa. They are your children and you are their sole providers & they look into your eyes & you can tell they love you, even at such a small amount of time they've been alive. I love ya'll and am so happy to see you smiling & being positive! Team D&K - Miracles do Happen! Love Auntie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen Poppy! Drake will defy odds--he already has! Many people never reach their full potential because someone said they would neverand they didn't have the mom, dad, (or Poppy) to tell them any different! You are an amazing family with an amazing support network. Of course you came to the conclusion that Drake will not be limited by what the drs say--You believe in your son!!

    I am excited about the baby driven feedings! I realize the nurses have you on a schedule of infant driven feedings, but its a great big step put the door! I have never fed my kids on a schedule--because honestly, who can keep it when you are home with kids?! Its funny to say, but as a stay at home mom i am too busy for schedules! Of course they both had their own "clocks" that they work off so they are pretty predictable...but anyway its nice because it gives the kids a chance to develop a little more individuality! Its okay if a bottle doesn't get finished, maybe next time they will be hungry sooner or eat more :-)

    Kennedy is so impressive! So spunky! Sweet and sassy is the way I like mine :-) her expressions are so precious. And she really is helping her bubby by doing so well-I have heard time and time again twins are so connected they share vibes. A friend of mine commented on yesterdays blog link i posted on fb--she said her husband and his twin sister always did better when they were together. I am so thankful they have each other and incredible parents!

    I have no doubt today's mri will be a success and Kennedy will shine. I also believe Drake will continue to out shine every diagnosis! Keep it up Team Gilstrap!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am praying for your big day today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good morning Team Gilstrap! You don't know me but we have several mutual friends. I'm so very happy to ready your blog daily. It is evident that you are strong believers in our mighty God and have leaned on His strength for all things. Our God is ALL mighty - and obviously He planned for these two babies to be yours. He knew this report would be given and He "knows the plans" for next week. In fact, He wrote them. Your plan to go with His strength and love is perfect and you will receive His gifts of grace and peace. I know you already know these things and I just can't wait to see this story unfold.

    His strength is perfect,

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the title of this post. Father knows best. Sometimes it is such a struggle to believe this. I ave been encouraged by your faith in trusting him. That was great advice as well. You guys are the perfect parents for your kiddos!!! I'm praying for you.


    Greg

    ReplyDelete
  7. They have both beat the odds and will continue to prove everyone wrong. They are such fighters to be so tiny!!! I want to thank you for taking time to write these blogs daily. I have a 9 year old that was a preemie and every day she reads the blogs and LOVES the pictures. She is always asking if she can meet them. :) We will continue to pray for all of you.

    Jon and Poppy Crawford

    ReplyDelete