Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Flashback

One year ago today: 
July 9, 2012 - Still Holding On

Last night was the longest night of our lives. I knew it was serious by the look on the nurses faces...it was a look of seriousness and controlled urgency. Annie and I did get some sleep from 4 am to 8 am and are trying get rest but it is difficult to leave their sides.

Drake is in a dangerously life threatening position. His kidneys have completely shut down and his lungs are struggling to keep up. The cultures have not come back positive for infection since the 6th,  so the infection looks to have cleared. The kidneys are our concern. His potassium levels were at life threatening levels all night. They have given him every medicine known to reduce potassium and to try and get his kidneys to function again. The potassium is still really high, but has been stabilized; however, he has not produced urine or bile in over 24 hours. The doctor said that if his kidneys do not begin to function, his heart could go into arrhythmia that cannot be stopped. 

We are hoping and praying so hard for his recovery. We have both sides of our family here to join us in prayer. Our pastor joined us today and just now Drake and Kennedy were baptized by our pastor and congregation of thousands across the world in prayer. Your prayers have helped Drake and Kennedy in their fight. Please take a moment to ask God to help his little kidneys start working again. Drake's fight is not over. Mommy, Daddy, and Kennedy are by his side.

One year later:
We are beyond thankful for the thoughts, prayers and support we have had over the past year! Since the 4th of July, we have all been thinking back to where we were one year ago. I read this post tonight after dinner to my family and even though 12 months have passed, the emotions are still just under the surface. Brian and I can't even read the words without tearing up. That gut wrenching week felt like an eternity, yet time has flown by since we have been home. Look how far our tiny babies have come in one full year and all of the progress they have made! Defying the odds again and again. Don't worry...our little Drake isn't finished proving people wrong! We may have our work cut out for us, but with dedicated practice comes perseverance. 

Drake and Kennedy have enjoyed this week at Uncle Aaron and Aunt Mere's pool. I have enjoyed it, too! As I have mentioned before, Drake is not a fan of change. The transition into the pool initially was not something he enjoyed, but once he was settled in, he completely relaxed. He even took a nap! I'd say that means he was very relaxed. And Kennedy...what can I say...she loves the water! 












6 comments:

  1. Have to admit...I got teary reading this post! What a blessing you guys are to Drake and Kennedy and what a blessing I know they are to yall. So glad the kiddos liked the pool!! Lets definitely think about getting together soon, even if its just Mommas and no kiddos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW they are growing so fast. They still melt my heart. I love love love them

    ReplyDelete
  3. This made me cry. You guys are doing such wonderful jobs. Loved the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's amazing how much you all have accomplished in a year. Your dedication is inspiring and obviously helps Drake and Kennedy fight their battles. We continue to pray for you all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a blessing it has been to see those babies thrive over the past year. I remember that post like it was yesterday...I'm not sure if I have ever prayed as hard as I did for yall at that time. They truly are miracles and I am so inspired by all of you. God is so GREAT and I just know he has BIG things in store for the Gilstrap family. Prayers are ALWAYS going up for all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember walking into work those mornings and praying so hard for Drake all day long. God is sooo good!! Just look at your precious babies! I am happy with all the progress that they have both made and so much of that comes from the dedication and love from thier families. I am honored to have been a small part of their journey and love seeing them grow!!

    ReplyDelete