Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Stuck in Fast Forward

While our life is always a bit of a fast pace, this past month has felt like we are stuck in fast forward. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not complaining and I know this goes with the territory of opening a new business. Although, I will do a little (or maybe a great big) cheer when we are able to start distributing which will allow us to hire a few employees. Right now, it’s a 7 day/week gig for the three of us (Brian, Matt & me). My family is helping out tremendously with the kids and thankfully we have excellent nursing in place for Drake that we can trust implicitly. God is Good! Without our family and nurses, I would not be able to be hands on at our brewery to help things run smoothly on our busiest nights. Technology helps, too, allowing me to work remotely from home on various aspects needed to run our business. Sometimes you gotta love how far we have come with technology (although, I am by no means a techy). Google is my best friend when I need to quickly teach myself how to do something on the computer. Seriously, what did we do before Google?

Drake gave us a bit of a scare on Friday night. We were very busy at the brewery and arrived home after mid-night to check in with his night nurse, shower and crash in bed. A few hours later we were startled awake to a knock on our door. I sat straight up, but I was confused as to what had just awoken me. Brian called out, “yes” and through the door his nurse said, “Drake is having a seizure!” I leapt straight out of bed and rushed to his room. She had already pulled out his emergency meds, but had not yet administered them. She had not ever had to give him his emergency meds before, but for me this was not unfamiliar territory. I asked how long he had been seizing (5min) and we administered his meds. Then we began a timer to see if this would stop them in time or if we would need to move to plan B, 911. Thankfully, with the assistance of his emergency medication, he was finally able to pull out of his seizure circuit. He was, as you would imagine, exhausted from both the extended seizure and the medication. I sat with him in his bed while his nurse closely monitored his vitals until he was fast asleep and seizure free. Then, I headed back to my room to try and catch a little more sleep as the morning sunlight began to peek through the blinds. While I was still trying to calm my body and fall asleep, Brian’s alarm began alerting us that morning had arrived and it was time to get up. Brian quietly got up and ready for the day and instructed me to try and get some rest.

I ended up getting a little more sleep (thankfully) and I waited around the house for Drake to wake up and ensure he was acting like himself before heading up to the brewery. His nurse took things easy on him that day, but she did allow him to do a little time in his gait trainer, which he seemed to enjoy. I had my phone on me at all times waiting for any news good or bad. Luckily, every update was good and included some pictures! Definitely what I needed!

Kennedy and Hayes are about as easy going as kids can be traveling back and forth from being at home, to Mimi & Poppy’s and also Meredith & Aaron’s. As long as they have their security items, Facetime with us, and stay on their routine, our sweet kids are pretty much go with the flow. Plus, who doesn’t like to get a little spoiled by grandparents! Hayes has discovered that he thinks he is quite the Big Boy these days and can do Big Kid things all on his own. His favorite new obsession is brushing his teeth! He still needs our help, but I love that he is all about doing it himself. My phone conversation with Kennedy:
Me – Kennedy you are a good girl!
K – You are a good mommy, too!

Melts my heart! I’m currently 21 weeks with our new little princess and so far things are going really well. Brian is making sure if there is any down time at the tap room, he pulls up a chair and has me sit. Even though I am really good at finding things to do, he is making me rest (which I know I need to be doing).


Our current lifestyle is not a forever thing. This is just a little bump in the road that is all part of starting a new business. Through our hard work, teamwork and family help, we will have a new normal in place within a few short months.    

A little play time!

Such a happy boy!

Gotta love Free Play & Exploring! 

Beautiful weather for our local business!

Hard to believe this guy was struggling with seizures during the night. 

Back in action! 

Loves to brush his teeth! #HealthyHabits 

Missing my sweet baby! 

Silly Cousins! 

Looking sharp with their new hair cuts! 

4 comments:

  1. love your family thank you for sharing so glad all is going well both with your family and new adventure take care of yourself momma

    ReplyDelete
  2. We saw that sweet Hayes was to be baptized yesterday morning. We were at the 9:00 service and missed seeing the ceremony. Congratulations on that milestone!

    ReplyDelete